Saturday, June 02, 2007

The mornings in London.

I love when dessert comes at the start of a new day.

Butter, sugar coffee and ( if its a good day) chocolate all sound like the healthy way to to fuel one's body. I would rather feel ecstatic and wired from sweets and caffeine than sluggish and drowsy from bacon and eggs any day. The only way I see to do this is to follow what most of Europe does on a daily basis: Congregate to the Bakeries.

So even though I'm not technically on mainland Europe, London isn't too far off and the city has it's fair share of early morning sweet delights. While the majority of people in London follow the basic breakfast of numerous meats, starches in massive bulk and oily eggs, there are those who crave the sugar rush.
And many of these folks can be found at a place across from the Borough Market named MONMOUTH COFFEE COMPANY.

The main attraction is their exceptional coffee which they properly care for with every cup. The espresso is a thick sip of bitter gold, the cappicinnos are created with an accurate combination of milk and coffee while each 'cup of joe' is freshly filtered for that moment. While the coffee is brewing, one is left with the hard decision of picking an item from the large number of offerings.

Ordering is slight based on the honor system. After telling the efficent baristas what is desired, you simply walk over to the long table and help yourself to the desired treat of choice.

With all the great choices it is hard limiting to just one. Some days just call for multiple baked goods, and I'm always willing to answer that call.

Following the trend of the double sugar and fat attack, there was a pain au chocolat from another placed named FLOWER POWER BAKERY, that just had to be added into the morning rotation.


The mounds of rich goods kept me coming back. There was never a disappointing moment. Everything had a balanced level of sugar with butter acting out the most important role in the play of flavors.

The only slight regret came when I went to a place called OTTOLENGHI. A very posh looking establishment, with prices to match, that projects an image of high quality though experienced workmanship.

The breads looked great, the savory items sounded delicous, and their sweets were nothing short of beautiful.

The pain au chocolat (obviously my favorite) and a more traditional scone made up breakfast that morning.

As great as they looked and as highly praised as they were, I would say I wasn't that impressed. The scone was quite boring and slightly dry. The pain au chocolat was heavy and thick, a bit over-worked and doughy. Little mishaps that didn't ruin but did upset my morning.
Feeling a bit scared of the new offerings, the next day began with a much welcomed return to the Borough market.

I would make sure that what ever the plans were that day needed to be in the later afternoon, for my morning's schedule was completely focused on those decadent delights. Lucky for me a great cheese shop (Neil's Yard) is very close by and after some time picking cheeses, I was ready for second breakfast.

Finding breakfast in London was something I thought I might have to worry over, thankfully there are places and people who see the joys of early morning sweets as one of great importance. I think we all desire to have a little piece of dessert for breakfast. Even in London.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bard!

It wasn't easy tracking you down! I'm a level 8 cleric here in Denver who likes cutting the cheese for cherry creekers, drinking tasty beverages and gorging myself on salumi. You might be having fun lounging around in coffee shops all day flirting with Brit skirts, but if you're smart you'll come back before next summer when the Star Wars series is released again in IMAX 3-D! Good luck trying to sit through Jar-Jar dubbed into Italian! P.S. The blog is really, really great, I hope you don't mind if I put it in the next newsletter.
Don't be a stranger!
denvertruffle@hotmail.com

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home