Friday, May 25, 2007

WOW!

I think I might have stumbled onto something amazing. It was one of those moments that can be remembered in multiple stages. So many feelings, so great a level of excitement, the shock, the smiles and the sense of confusion. A moment where time lost meaning, attention was diverted while complete focus was concentrated on this little item of utter amazement. What to feel? How to feel it? When to let it go? Should I continue breathing? It was hard to continue basic humanly functions, my body as a whole wanted, desired and truly needed what can simple be called;
PAIN AU CHOCOLAT.



It was just one little pastry that crippled my thought process and reduced my brain to a mush of animalistic desires. It all started in a place called Heart Buchanan, where a fine young woman with an accent of sharp Scottish decent, told me "They are the best in all of the UK. Possible even mainland Europe." I laughed at her notice, partly because I knew that I would have to get one, but also because it was such a bold and redundant statement. How many shops claim their pastries are the best and the ultimate version? I thought this proclamation to be a smooth marketing sell, when I saw the devotion within the young lady's eyes, and realized there was very little humor to her words.

As she handed me my sack of delicious goods, I had to double check the contents within. The weight seemed to be less than expected, almost as if she had forgotten the desirable item. Inspecting the contents, I realized everything was in order, the pastry was just so light, it felt as if it wasn't really there. Enduring a surge of hunger from the slightest sight of the delicate layers, I ferociously found a small joint for coffee. The drink was miniscule in comparison to the importance of the moment.
I took my seat, got comfortable, and gently caressed the creation. Holding the pastry while feeling the slight skim of butter on the surface of the treat, I closed my eyes and indulged.



Words similar to complete, euphoric, perfect, ridiculous all cross my mind when remembering that moment. The sound of biting though the sheets of layered dough was crisp and nearly crunchy. The resistance it gave on my teeth was one that I rarely get to experience. Dark in color but properly baked, firm on the chew but not doughy, flaky and shattering with every bite containing the soothing element of rich butter. The smell alone was enough to instigate shouts with jumping excitement.

After it was all over, I slowly felt back in control of myself. I looked around, hoping not to see the destructive havoc that could have been created while under the influence of a calorie and carbohydrate filled transformation, a Mr. Hyde moment (only fatter and with a thick french accent.) Such a whirlwind of thoughts,
I don't know if it was the best,
It could be one of the best,
I don't know if I have had better,
it could have been the best.
I had to try it again.

and again.

Each morning tested my level of control. Trying to ride the sugar edge without falling, I limited myself to only two pastries. Even as great as the other delights were, the pain au chocolat always took the stage. I can't say if Heart Buchanan does the best puff pastries in Europe. France is a big country with a great history in the field of morning treats. By understanding the rules of the masters, Heart Buchanan has taken a few great ingredients, some practiced techniques and the hands of a passionate and slightly crazy baker to create the classic pain au chocolate. And make one overindulgent kid from Colorado turn into a manic sugar rushed monster with a massive chocolate covered grin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home