Monday, April 23, 2007

Momofuku, New York

People ask me what my favorite restaurants are. As many times as I want to answer with a fine establishment that offers emulsions, beurre blancs, and foie gras, I commonly respond with a type of place that is much more simple. Styles of cooking that showcase flavors with out complication. Restaurants that represent ethic cultures though their authentic preparations. The pho soups, rich curries, succulent satay, starchy rich and spicy harissa all cross my mind before a multi-hour tasting menu. The only problem I have encountered with some of these restaurants have been the with their ingredients.

Freshness is important when making good food. Sometimes money is an issue for a restaurant and when trying to pinch a few bucks by getting 'not-as-good-as-it-could-be-items', the food can suffer. Just because it tastes foreign (and mostly thought of as being cheap) doesn't mean the quality has to be less than normal. Imagine how great all food would taste if it was made with the best that could be obtained...
What if a place could be simple and taste 'foreign' but be local...
It took some time and a few hundred miles, but thankfully I found what I was hoping for...

Late arrival into the big apple doesn't mean lunch plans had to be forgotten. Through all the transfers and congestion, I remained focused towards the idea of soft buns and pork fat. With a large bag on my back, I swiftly entered Momofuku where I was greeted and seated.



It all sounded great, but I was here for buns.



To the touch they were smooth with a soft texture of warm skin. The sticky feeling of the hoisin covered, meltingly soft, pork belly folded up with fresh crisp bites of thin cucumbers excited my palate that caused a ferocious consuming frenzy. The flavor was so grand it overwhelmed my thought process for anything else. Acting more ferocious than I would have ever hoped to in public, I was suddenly given a plate of tremendous smelling young cephalopods.



The garlic spiked octopus were buttery soft on the inside and firmly chewy on the outside. They paired nicely with not only the texture of the seaweed but also with the briny ocean-sea flavor, which was smoothed out by the sweet and savory pickled chili. The actual spice of the dish didn't come from the chili but from the intense amount of garlic. Full of strong flavors but not too strong as to compromise the phenomenal octopus.

WOW. I have heard the praise and read the raves. Now I have tasted why: Momofuku puts out some amazing food. By using ingredients of upmost freshness and applying a professional amount of technique while upholding certain traditional guidelines, Momofuku truly is something to experience. Lucky for the locals and a destination for the travelers, and now for me a complete favorite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home